Anything and everything under the sun

Nuffnang

Friday, October 5, 2007

Soto Ayam - Updated

*Sorry for the kelam-kabut layout. I just cant seem to get them aligned and where I want them to be. Arrrgh!*





1. Nasi impit 2. Add the beansprout
3. Pour the soup 4. Sambal kicap


This is what I made for buka puasa a few weeks ago. Soto Ayam! I promised MsJ that I will share the recipe with her a long time ago but only now I made them. The last time I made them was for Xmas dinner last year. Sorry MsJ.


For today I'll let you enjoy the pics and will write the recipe when have more time ok?

************************************************************************************

Ok, here's the recipe for soto ayam. It'l be in Manglish because its easier for me. hehe :)


A.
1 piece chicken thigh,bone-in (u can also use 2 pieces for this recipe)
4 cardamon seed
4 cloves
2 start anise
2in cinnamon stick
4-5 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup santan (coconut milk)


B.
4 shallots
1 onion
4 garlic
2in ginger


Blend items B. Heat the oil in the pot and add the cardamon, cloves, star anise and cinnamon sampai naik bau. Masukkan bahan2 B and stir for about 4-5min. Add in the chicken and water enough to cover the chicken, about 1.5-3 cups. 2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar. Keep flipping the chicken and continue boiling for abt 15-20min.


Once the chicken is cooked, take it out and let it cool down. Add another cup of water and the coconut milk. (The blended items are wht making the soup look thick and thts wht we want. So make sure you dont add too much water ok?) Let it boil and then only you add the salt and sugar to taste. Banyak mana tu, up to your own tastebud.


Shred the chicken and put the bones back in the soup. You can also put the shredded chicken meat back into the soup if you like. Thats how I make the soup for my soto ayam.


I dunno how to make nasi impit fr scratch since i always buy the nona brand (or any other brand) tht comes in small packets where you just boil them for an hour and cut when its cooled down. Alternatively, you can use meehoon or both. Back home, id def use both.


For the sambal kicap, blend or tumbuk a handful of cili padi. Add a pinch of salt, lemon juice and sweet soy sauce. If ur in Msia, use kicap habhal. If ur like me in the land with no kicap habhal, kicap abc pun jadilah. :P


For garnishing, use daun sop, bawang goreng, soohoon goreng (just deep fry and crash them on top of your soup) and of course beansprout.


Selamat mencuba ye kawan-kawan!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

my hubby mokhtar tak suka sangat soupy stuffs but he goes hardcore on curry and nasi lemak. nonetheless tis is definitely a good recipe for winter so dun forget to share the recipe aite sis!

Ms J said...

yeayyy! i am looking forward to the recipe :-)
can you email me your address again, pls.
your soto ayam looks yumms!

Cat Cat said...

PJ,
Sedapnya soto ayam... Eh, what is sambal kicap eh??? Sambal mixed with kicap ke..???

Salt N Turmeric said...

BM, my hubby pun tak suka anything soupy. kalau i masak memang untuk i sorang aje.

msj, tunggu ye?

Kak Ram, sambal kicap tu just blend/tumbuk cili padi and add kicap manis, a lil bit of garam and lime juice. senang aje nak buat.

Anonymous said...

oH it looks good.

Conicidentally, I also made soto ayam last week... I didn't have mine with nasik impit but with mihun.

Would love to try out your recipe...

Kisses.
nina

Daphne Ling said...

Adoh...

Laparnya...Will try when I get home...Thanks Kak Farina!

ICook4Fun said...

PJ, sedapnya Soto. I pun nak the resipe. I memang suka soto especially the one from Kampong Baru.

NorthBorneoGirl said...

Thanks for the pics! .. salivating I kat sini! *lol* .. bulan puasa ni I have to check ur blog and Ms Gert's blog at night when I dah buka puasa hehehe

drNO said...

ur soto looks yummy...
i'm not expert in making soto, I don't know that we need to add coconut milk.
I'll definitely try this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Princess,

Ingat lagi tak kat den, Norleen. Aien forwarded your blog this morning.

Macam mane kat sana...sihat? Do keep in touch. Jangan lupa begedil pulak ye... bye

LOVE Norleen

Pi Bani said...

Raya nanti nak masak apa?

Selamat Hari Raya to you!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Nina, u shud try w nasi impit.

Daphne, jgn tak cuba ok. kalau tak pun, makan ajelah masa openhse ur frens. ;)

Gert, i memang kena buat soto for our openhse when i was in kl. tht was my duty.

Envy, dah nak dekat raya ni, so soon takyah tunggu night time. heheh.

DrNo, my family recipe memang letak sanan. cubalah ok and lepastu let me kno camne.

Norleen, lama tak dengar berita. camne aien tau my blog ye? anyways, send me and email ok?

Pi, raya ni tak sure lak nak masak apa. hehe. Selamat Hari raya to u too!

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

Farina,

i so love soto ayam. memang our family's favourite dish, besides laksa johor, mee rebus, bamia and lontong.

but you lupa include begedil (potato patties) in your recipe or you memang tak minat begedil?

anyway just to let you know that i'd like to thank you for mentioning AMBER Alert in my blog.
Following that, I made a posting on Amber Alert, saying how urgently we need such a system. I suggested that it be called Nurin Alert. Several bloggers and others supported it. among them was Arwah Nurin's uncle, Jazni.

One supporter started a Nurinalert site. We are in touch through SOS@nurinalert.
WE have started an initiative for Nurin Alert to be introduced.
the five of us - Nik Farez, Rocky, Hanizah, Jazni and I -- held a meeting a few days ago. And yesterday, Women, Family and community development minister datuk seri shahrizat Jalil was part of a roundtable talk organized by Tell Magazine. With her were Jazni, crime analyst Kamal Affandi, Madeleine Yong of The Save and Protect the Children Association and a lawyer (tak ingat nama). Rocky and I were there too. The subject of Amber Alert was raised. At the end, we proposed Nurin Alert and SHahrizat said she supported it and asked her to submit a proposal so that she can include it in the Child Protection Policy which she will be submitting to the Cabinet after Raya.

So, thank you Farina for raising it first.we hope this will be a reality soon.

Sorry I have taken so much space here.

Here's wishing you Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri!
And may God bless you and your family!

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

farina,
sorry. ada mistake. it should read: "Shahizat supported it and asked US to submit a proposal..."

thank u.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Nuraina, iv only made bergedil once in the US coz its just too time consuming and i dont like making them w/o daun sup.
wht great news abt the meeting w shahrizat. i hope theyl adopt the alert very very soon.

selamat hari raya to u and family too Nuraina! sorry ye lambat ucap but raya sebula right? hehe.

a yummy mummy handbook said...

hi ya princess..iw as googling for nasik impit and your blog came out...to my suprise soto ayam yang i jumper..which is pretty bizzara coz that was my next google! anyway..your soto ayam seems do able...i think ill give it try, justra question..how much that this recipe makes?? agak agak laaa..by the way..i have a bergedel recipe that super easy on my blog..i use to think bergedel are only for the expert...but i prove myself wrong..hahahaha....

Salt N Turmeric said...

i sebenarnya malas nak buat bergedil sbb i sorang aje makan. hubby tak makan semua tu. i usually guna kentang, biskut, daging cincang, daun sup and bawang and celup dlm telur for my bergedil. urs camne pulak?

Anonymous said...

hi Farina....selamat hari raya:)
Went to an open house yesterday...had soto ayam with nasik himpit...yang buat sedap begedil ngan kicap pedas...hehehe eventhough i tak makan pedas..without the kicap tak sedap...begedil ni i rasa utk pekatkan soup..hehehe leceh skit nak buat sbb nak kena goreng

Anonymous said...

Girl.. how r u? Too bad tak dapat lama dgn u.. email me ah.. here goes my website

Hugs from Vegas

Salt N Turmeric said...

Kat, selamat hari raya to u too.

Mas, next time kita jumpa kat vegas lah pulak ok?