Anything and everything under the sun

Nuffnang

Friday, June 10, 2011

What Friendship Means To Me

I love having friends. There's a Malay proverb, Kawan biar seribu, Musuh jangan dicari which means have thousand of friends but never look for foe/enemy. I have my bestfriends, a few really good friends, friendly friends and civil friends. There are also friends which I prefer to call acquaintances and lastly the used-to-be friends.Friendship, just like relationship is a two-way thing. You must both be in it. You can't ignore your friend and yet expect them to always be with/for you when you need them. Friends would laugh and cry with you. Basically if you invest in your friendship, you will get good friends.
burst21
As a Muslim, I believe that everything we do/say depends on our 'nawaitu'/'niat' or intention. If our intention is good, insyaallah we will in return get good things too. If you start a friendship with the intention of getting something from that person than most likely that friendship will not last long. And when that happens, you have no one but yourself to blame. Although this of course is not always true since people like that will always put the blame on others instead of looking at themselves.

Living in SoCal for the last 5years have been great for me (and our marriage). There's a huge Malaysian/Singaporean community here that I don't  find myself missing home too much. Of course it's not the same but we immediately become instant family to each other. And I really mean like family, not just friends. We may be different in what we like or how we live our lives but we respect each other. And it helps that we don't have to walk on egg shells with each other! If/when we're not happy with something, we voice it out because that's what friends do. You can't be too sensitive about every damn thing and criticism is not an insult unless it's meant as one. If I insult you, you will know it. I hardly sugar-coat my insults. :P

Australia 300x250

3 comments:

ummisara said...

Princess...

love this posting!

Have a gud day. Bila nak balik nih?

Salt N Turmeric said...

Thanks girl! Eh I kan baru aje balik last year. Mana boleh balik again too soon. Kena ambik nombor giliran. lol.

MamaFaMi said...

Dear Farina,

Can't agree more with you in this matter. To me, once a friend, will be a friend forever, hopefully. I treasure my friendship, it's something that money can't buy. Would you believe me if I said, I am still in touch with my kindergarden friend till today, now matter how far me and her had travelled around the world. Nice huh?

Anyway, here's wishing both of you a Happy Ramadhan.